Tuesday 20 October 2015

Maybe it's just me....but...

It seemed like school was a lot less complicated about 20 years ago. Yes, there were bullies and yes, there were consequences but there was also a lot more fun and a lot more learning. 

It seems as though everything is changing in this world around us. Allow me to give you an example.

My son is in grade 3. He has been taught since he entered elementary school that he is to be friends with everyone. He can't say no to playing with a child at school because this might hurt their feelings. Believe me, I am not the one teaching him this. The school has this policy of inclusion - which I LOVE but, there has to be a point at which we teach these kids the way of the real world. 

There are times when I don't want to hang out with certain people as an adult, but we are essentially teaching these children that they do not have the right to say no. 

There are people who I have met and I just don't get along with them as an adult, but we are teaching our children that they have to like everyone and be their friend. 

I feel more and more that we are teaching our children that the real world doesn't exist and then they are shocked when something happens and they discover that not everything is roses and lollipops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment