Wednesday 28 October 2015

Friendship

I've never been one to have a large social group. Never one to stand out in a crowd and have tons of friends. I was always of the mindset that it is better to have a couple close friends rather than a large group of acquaintances. Perhaps I have been wrong all along...

I have been open and honest with the friends that I had close with about my recent struggles with depression and what was happening in my life. Then, slowly but surely over the last 6-8 weeks, those friends have started to call and text less and less. 

Depression and anxiety are two things that I don't think I fully understood before. Now, as I am on this journey of self re-discovery, I am understanding it more and more each and every day. Someone who is suffering usually has to suffer in silence because people don't understand what it is like. They don't understand why someone feels that way and they are scared to be a part of it. 

Never did I ever think that being "open and honest" with "friends" would leave me feeling more alone than ever in the world. 

I have two options though, embrace who I am and start to live again as I work ethrough this journey or sink farther into depression because of them. 

I'll tell you this much-- they are not going to win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment